Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 02:37:33 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How To Burn CDs

This is a summary of the information that I gather over the last =

few days with respect to CD recorders.

It appears that the preferred and better supported CD recorders are
scsi . To shorten the gap what is needed is for ATAPI cd recorders
to be integrated into CAM so that we may present a unified interface
to both ATAPI and SCSI CD drives. Post on -hackers if you are =

interested in working on such a project.

The rest of this document will deal with scsi cd recorders.

Software Tools :

cdrecord is used to  burn the CDs . cdrecord http home:
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/priva=
te/cdr
ecord.htm

	cdrecord supports CD-R, CD-RW and Audio CD (Red Book) formants.

cdda2wav which is now bundled with cdrecord can extract audio CD tracks.

	 cdrecord is part of the ports/sysutils collection.

tosha    is another scsi tool to extract CD audio tracks and it is
           in the ports/audio directory . tosha is native program to =

           FreeBSD. tosha was written by Oliver Fromme  =

<oliver.fromme@heim3.tu-clausthal.de>

cdd      another native freebsd program to extract CD audio tracks was
           written by Charles Henrich and is =

           part of the ports/audio collection.

mkisofs  is used to create an iso 9660 cd image. It is located =

	 in the ports/sysutils collection

If one of the audio "rippers" does not work report the problem after
first making sure that the program does indeed support your
CD disk unit and then just try another one.

For a list of "reported to work" drives that work with cdrecord + cdd2wav=
 see:
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/priva=
te/cdw
riters-1.8.html

External vs. Internal I find that my YAMAHA CRW6416sz scsi cd =

recorder runs rather cool . Some members on the list have reported
that at least early models of their CD-Recorders run hot so they preferre=
to have them external due to the heat problem and/or portability .

A little bit on cdrecord.

To determine which scsi recorder is installed in your system issue:

cdrecorder -scanbus

Cdrecord release 1.8a22 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 J=F6rg Schilling
scsibus0:
                  0) 'SEAGATE ' 'ST34501W        ' '0017' Disk
                  1) 'YAMAHA  ' 'CRW6416S        ' '1.0b' Removable CD-RO=
                  2) *
                  3) 'SEAGATE ' 'ST15150W        ' '0023' Disk
                  4) *
                  5) *
                  6) *
                  7) *
scsibus1:
                100) *
                101) *
                102) *
                103) *
                104) *
                105) 'UMAX    ' 'UMAX S-12       ' 'V2.0' Scanner
                106) *
                107) *

So my Yamaha CD recorder is scsi bus 0 , scsi address 1, lun 0.

I recommend sticking this information in /etc/default/record
cat /etc/default/cdrecord =

CDR_DEVICE=3D1,0

What this means is that every time that cdrecord runs it =

gets is device info from /etc/default/cdrecord .

If you feel somehow compel to always specify the scsi device in
cdrecord, the syntax is: -dev=3Dbus,scsi address, lun or
		      -dev=3Dscsi address, lun

in my case is:

                        -dev=3D1,0 (the default scsi bus is 0)

I recommend for the first few times to use a CD-RW. They =

are more expensive than CD-R;however, for playing for the first
time with your scsi cd recorder they can actually probably
save you a lot of money.

Now that you have all your hardware and software in place what can you do=
 8)

To create an iso cd9660 with a CD-RW:
 mkisofs -R /mount/dir | cdrecord -blank=3Dfast -v fs=3D6m speed=3D3 -

mkisofs pipes an ISO 9660 cd image to cdrecord.

cdrecord does the actual cd burning:
	-blank=3Dfast        first it does a quick blank
	-v                 verbose mode so you can see what is doing
	fs=3D6m              forks a process and uses a 6MB buffer =

	speed=3D3            usually CD-RW can only be burned =

			   as fast as 4X you will have to experiment
                           with your cd recorder to see what speed
			   works best.

Take a break pending upon the size of the image the process
can take 1/2 hour to just a few minutes so kick back and relax.

Here is session for creating audio cds.

mkdir cdtracks
cd cdtracks

cddwa2wav -B

This command generates tracks in the format of:
audio_nn.wav where nn is a track number . audio in .wav format
audio_nn.inf where nn is a track number . pregap info =

cdrecord -blank=3Dfast -audio -useinfo audio*.wav

	-blank=3Dfast   blanks your CD-RW for CD-R don't include
		      this command
        -audio        sets audio cd recording
	-useinfo      use the pregap info generated by cdd2wav =

		      *.inf files

Issues:

In the list there was an exchange of using the tool team for =

buffering vs cdrecord's own buffering scheme:

"Another possibility, if you have the RAM, is to use the team(1)
program (it's in the ports) to buffer the data as it goes to the burner.
You basically put it into the pipeline between mkisofs and cdrecord, and
it buffers up to 5MB in memory (default, adjustable).  Of course, you've
got to have enough RAM to not go into swap during the operation.  It's a =

very nice program, and I've been told that, with enough memory
(32-64MB), you can be running X11 and compiling programs while the CD is =

burning (this is with a 2X burner, though)."

    "It should be noted that the 'cdrecord' program implements a FIFO its=
elf,
    and you can specify the size.  The default is 2MB.  cdrecord uses a
    shared memory segment and forks so the process buffering the data is
    made independant of the buffer draining it.

    Modern CD writers usually have 1-2MB of buffer internally.  The newer=

    Yamahas, for example, have 2MB.

    So right off the bat we have around 4MB.  Still, when you are writing=
 at
    600KB/sec it is possible to get behind if the filesystem you are buil=
ding
    has lots of small files.  Apart from writing the mkisofs output to a =
file,
    the easiest solution is to tell cdrecord to burn at a slower rate - e=
=2Eg.
    1x or 2x instead of 4x or 6x.

Possible Problem and we need clarification

And to head off another question:  When you are recording to a CD-RW
you can do a 'quick erase' of the media using 'cdrecord blank=3Dfast'.
This does not actually erase the data, so if you have used say 100MB
you will only have 550MB left.  You can actually erase the media using
'cdrecord blank=3Dall', which takes a while.
 =

  In my experience, this is not true.  I have used blank=3Dfast on a CDRW=

  that has over 500 MB written, and then written another 500 MB without
  a problem.

  I have the same experience. Maybe someone into the physics of the media=

  can explain what the pros-cons are as far as the media itself is concer=
ned?

Hardware : =

Yamaha CRW6416sz scsi 2 internal cd recorder

I bought the Yamaha CRW6416sz scsi 2 iternal because it is =

somewhat cheap and reliable . You can buy one at CompUSA for
$300.

Reported scsi CD recorders which work and by no means this
list is not  exhaustive rather is nice to know from a FreeBSD user
that it works on their boxes.

1.  JKH swears by his Smart and Friendly Rocket Recorder
    scsi cd recorder  8)
    Honest is probably a good drive because JKH burns =

    quite a few CDs.

2.  Plextor scsi recorders 4x and 8x good recommendation from
    the list.

3.  Philips CDD-3600 CDRW drive

4.  Yamaha 4416 scsi recorder known to work on FreeBSD, Linux, SCO, =

    HP/UX, and NT

5.  Yamaha 6416sz scsi cd recorder.

Hidetoshi Shimokawa <simokawa@sat.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp> reported:
  I bought DVD-RAM drive for $400.
  5.2GB(double side) media is around $35, you can use them as 2.3GB x 2
  disks.

  Enabling raw-write in scsi_cd.c, you can newfs/mount DVD-RAM as UFS.
  Write speed is around 500KB/s, and read speed is around 1.4MB/s.

  Now this sounds like a very nice scsi cd recorder .

  Further input on DVD-RAM is welcome . =

-- =

 Amancio Hasty
 hasty@rah.star-gate.com