Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 09:47:26 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, dg@root.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, swallace@ece.uci.edu
Subject:   Re: exec bug

>>The image activators should read the part that they need.
>
>   Uh, no. Not unless you want our exec time to be about 5 times higher than
>linux. The process of mapping the image header is a major portion of the
>overhead of exec.

No, my user space times show that a user read() takes about the same time
as kernel mapping (50 usec = less than 5% of the time for a static-library
fork-exec-exit, and less than 0.6% of the time for a shared-library
fork-exec-exit.  read() should be slightly faster in the kernel.

>>Or just allocate a buffer for it and access the buffer directly.  This

>   Hmmm. From an architectural perspective, this sounds really kludgy. I
>especially don't like the fact that buffers aren't of a constant size. In
>the end, I think doing the buffer thing would have much more overhead than
>what I'm doing now.

My user space times show that it wouldn't have much more initial overhead.
Lookup of mapped in-core buffers is very efficient - hashing works well.
If there is a slowdown later due to the file being accessed using a
different method, then the unified vm must not be very unified.  I don't
think it is that bad :-).

Bruce