Date:      Thu, 09 Oct 1997 18:01:33 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, fullermd@futuresouth.com
Subject:   Re: group assignments from make world.

> Does this strike anyone else as a discipline issue rather than
> a user read-access control issue?

What's your point?  You're not going to get 70+ volunteer
hackers to do a synchronized swimming act no matter how much
you berate them, nor will "reader locks" ever be anything but
the most seriously braindead of work-stoppage proposals, so
clearly this isn't something you can solve at the tech end.

Yes, in an idealized world you could do all that and I'm sure that you
will now cite personal experience at Novell where 10,000 developers
all worked in close harmony despite not being paid a cent, purely
through the administration of simple electric shocks, but I don't see
any of that as particularly practical in our circumstances.

					Jordan