Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 1995 09:03:15 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray), ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gripe of the week (tm) :-)

> > Can we not reorganise the X ports a little so that they do not go into
> > /usr/X11R6/..., but rather into /usr/local/...? It is (IMO) kinda like
> > installing ports into /usr/bin.

Let me explain why I went this route in the first place:

	Application Defaults

It's unfortunate that the way things are set up in XFree86 by default
now don't really allow you to install Joe Application in such a way
that it will work for all users out-of-the-box without sometimes
touching /usr/X11R6.  You need to install stuff into /usr/X11R6/lib
just to get it found by the Xt libraries.  I wish there was some analog
in /usr/local that we could get searched for all subsequent releases of
XFree86, but it's not that way now so I figured "oh well!" and thought
we'd just settle for treating all the X11 stuff as a blob.

						Jordan