Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 21:22:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Miller <dmiller@sparks.net>
To:        randall ehren <randall@ucsb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tripwire on compact flash

On Sat, 21 Dec 2002, randall ehren wrote:

> hi,
>  i setup a freebsd system running off of a compact flash card. i know that CF
> cards have a limited life of read & writes so i wanted to know if running
> tripwire on the card was a bad idea...?

It's fine if you have it mounted read only virtually all the time.  You
don't say what you're using the system for, so we really can't guess
whether that's possible or not.

As for tripwire, flash would be an OK place to store the checksums.  it's
better if you have physical access to the system to have to change a write
enable switch on a removable media.  If you're talking about a remote
system flash is as good as anything else.

--- David