Date:      Thu, 02 Oct 2008 09:54:27 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        Reg Me Please <regmeplease@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on laptops

Reg Me Please wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm considering to move from Linux to FreeBSD on my main laptop.
> I don't have enough time resources for the "test and try" process
> I'd like to know from the community what is the status for:
> 0. Core2 Duo CPUs
> 1. Support for modern chipsets (ICH8)
> 2. support for power management (mostly ACPI and CPU clock freq. ) on laptops
> 3. support for accelerated graphic cards (nVidia GeForce 8600M GT)

My understanding is that hardware acceleration for nVidia video cards is
not available for the amd64 versions of FreeBSD.

> 4. support for Intel wifi (4965 AGN)

Available under CURRENT.  I think there are backported patches available
for STABLE, but I don't know how reliable they are.

> 5. support for other hardware like audio, card readers, i-Link, USB

I have NOT been successful getting audio to work on the Dell Inspiron
1525.  So ....

> And, of course, any advise about FreeBSD on laptops will be highly
> appreciated.

... if you want audio and all the other bells and whistles, don't go
with the Dell Inspiron 1525.