Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 1995 21:43:16 +1100 (EST)
From:      Richard Lyon <rlyon@ozemail.com.au>
To:        Dan mackey <clad@oz.net>
Cc:        Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User PPP

On Thu, 21 Dec 1995, Dan mackey wrote:

> I recently installed Freebsd 2.1 and have been tryint to get ppp
> working for the last week. I followed all the instructions in the
> freebsd handbook under uppp and am still haveing problems. I can get it
> to dial and login ok but when i try to ping ftp or use anyother program
> it ether sits there for 5 minutes and times out or says host lookup
> failer. Can anyone help ?
>
> 	Thanks

User PPP definitely works! A simple typo can cause many hours grief. Are
you running a simple standalone machine with no network cards?

Check you have the correct ISP nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf.

Check you have hosts before bind in /etc/host.conf

/etc/sysconfig is bit of a minefield. Are you getting any routed error
messages?

If you want I could send a copy of all the files I modified with
comments. The fact you have managed to logon is encouraging.

Regards Richard Lyon ...