Date:      Fri, 20 Dec 2002 22:35:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Thomas Nystrom <thn@saeab.se>
Cc:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fix for hanging of vr interface (Rhine Ethernet)

:I think they are 2K bytes each (don't have the datasheets with me). That
:message is printed out because the Rhine chip signals that a packet is
:dropped. On my system I could tweak it away by changing the RX-Threshold
:and the DMA block size. My theory is that the bus is busy making it
:impossible for the chip to store the received frame in memory.
:
:/thn
:
:--
:---------------------------------------------------------------
:Svensk Aktuell Elektronik AB                     Thomas Nyström

    I messed around a bit with the DMA blocking and I also tried
    enabling some bits in another Config register that turned on
    receive fifo / transmit fifo interleaving.  Nothing changes,
    I still get 'rx packet lost' messages.

    I have noticed that video takes appreciable ram bandwidth on
    this EPIA5000.  In 1024x768 @ 70KHz / 24bpp (32bpp frame buffer),
    a busy cpu can glitch the screen.

    I think the EPIA BIOS may not be setting up PCI latency timers
    properly in my case.  I'll bet workstations with faster memory
    busses do better.  There may not be anything that can be done
    in the VR driver.

    I'm still watching for long dropouts.  So far none have occured.

						-Matt