Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 2010 16:31:53 -0500
From:      Corey John Bukolt <ruinermailchucker@gmail.com>
To:        Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Also have a dead box [ WAS: Re: OT: dead box ]

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 10:38 +0000, Frank Shute wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 02:05:49AM -0500, Corey John Bukolt wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 11:23:34 +0000 (06:23 CDT) Chris Whitehouse wrote:
> > > When you press the power button does the cpu fan or the power supply fan
> > > spin for a moment then stop? That's a sign that something on or plugged
> > > in to the motherboard has blown. Unplug things and test again.
> > >
> > > Chris
> >
> > Just a few days ago, I was helping a friend build a system (with all
> > brand new components, I might add) and we had this very problem.  After
> > sticking in the CPU and RAM and hooking up and turning on the PSU, the
> > green LED on the motherboard turns on.  However, the second the power
> > button is pressed, everything flashes for a second, then turns back off.
> > The green LED on the motherboard also remains on.  The only way to get
> > it to flash again is to turn off the PSU, wait, then turn it back on.
> > We tried re-seating everything, to no avail.
> >
> > Reading this thread, someone else mentioned beep codes and that if there
> > were none, it's most likely a fried motherboard.
> >
> > Can anyone else confirm this?
> >

> Did you have a monitor attached? Anything posted to the screen?

We did have a monitor attached, only the system stays running for less
then a second, not even enough time for the monitor to turn on.

> My nephew had similar symptoms and it was because his heatsink on his
> CPU wasn't seated properly.
>
> The system would boot like yours but then die. He managed to catch on
> the screen a message like "CPU temp exceeded" which clued him in.
>
> BTW, your "Reply to:" is different from your "From:" which is
> confusing.

"From:" is the address for automated emails from my mailserver and
relaying my personal email (I have a dynamic IP).  I don't want any
automated emails directly attached to my personal address in the "Reply
To:", hence multiple accounts.

I blindly assumed that clients/people would just use "Reply To:" and
ignore "From:" but I can see that's not the case.  I'll have to fix that
so that there is only one address.

Apologies for the confusion.