Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 2009 02:01:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   trouble with xf86-video-intel

Hi all,

I'm installing xorg on an lenovo thinkpad T400, and am running into
some problems.  On the first try, running `X` would produce the
familiar grey background with x-shaped cursor, and ctrl-alt-backspace
would not kill the X server.  I could still switch to a vty and
ctrl-C it, but the Xorg.log.0 was not terribly enlightinging.

There was a suspicious warning in the log, "ESR is 0x00000010, page
table error", and after a bit of googling, I found this post:
http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-bugs-dist@lists.debian.org/msg553679.html
that thread links here:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel/commit/?h=xf86-video-intel-2.4-branch&id=01bbbd8c6c73229b5cb0c88e8eb2ac9b49a5dad8

The patch does not apply cleanly at all, but changing the definition of
DSPARB_HWCONTROL to include "|| IS_GM45(pI810)" helps a little bit,
in that I can now kill the X server with ctrl-alt-backspace.
(I suppose I should add that if I switched "intel" to "vesa" in the
xorg.conf, I could also kill the X server in such a fasion.)

However, X still does not respond to my mouse events, or
give me the xterm that's in my .xinitrc .

I will post my Xorg.0.log here:
http://stuff.mit.edu/afs/sipb.mit.edu/user/kaduk/freebsd/glossolalia/
This still has the page table error, and the comment that
"Existing errors found in hardware state." is rather suspicious,
though I don't have enough experience with this to know for sure.

This is on 8-CURRENT from March 8, and I believe my ports
snapshot to be from then as well.

Thanks,

Ben Kaduk