Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:10:09 GMT
From:      Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
To:        freebsd-i386@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/105619: SSHD locks up server

The following reply was made to PR i386/105619; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Remko Lodder <remko@elvandar.org>
To: Terry <terry@comtron.com.au>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:05:17 +0100

 On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 02:18:30AM +0000, Terry wrote:

 > >Number:         105619
 > >Category:       i386
 > >Synopsis:       SSHD locks up server
 > >Confidential:   no
 > >Severity:       serious
 > Whenever using SSH from an external network going to the FreeBSD box it locks up the server (dropping the interface?). After around 5-10 mins the server comes back up. Cannot remote access the machine through SSH although I can on my local network. Tried using putty and securecrt with the same results.
 > >How-To-Repeat:
 > Run standard version of sshd that comes with FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE.
 > Try and SSH in with putty or SecureCRT.
 > >Fix:
 > Don't know?
 > >Release-Note:
 > >Audit-Trail:
 > >Unformatted:

 Hello Terry,

       Are you using a DNS Server? If not it can take a little time before the request is being processed.
       This is a FAQ item and can be found here:

       http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/faq/book.html#CONNECTION-DELAY

       I will close the PR since this is not a problem report but a user request. If you need more
       information please proceed to http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions
       and post your questions there. If people believe this is still worth a PR after that, please
       get back to me so that we can reopen the ticket and look into this accordingly.

       Please do note that this is not to make your life more difficult, but to make it easier
       you will most likely get a much quicker response on the mailinglist then here where we
       only handle problems, not questions.

       Cheers,
       remko

 --