Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2014 10:27:03 +0100
From:      Kurt Jaeger <lists@opsec.eu>
Subject:   Re: What is the problem with ports PR reaction delays?

Hi!

> Unfortunately, nothing is happening. I expected to hear some voices about
> certain ideas that have popped up, like:
>
> * can we cut off old and 'unloved' PR's in order to reduce the amount of
> work and make reassessment of that amount

There is the other view of this which says "PRs do not eat hay, closing
them does not really fix anything". I think this one is still open
for debate.

> * can we use people who volunteered to work on the PR's

There are people submitting PRs, and those committing changes,
and in between them those people that check/confirm PRs.

They could do that before and they can still do it now, if they want to.

So besides *doing* this there is not much "push" that can help here.

> * can we incorporate automation in the PR workflow, for example, the one
> provided by redports

I've read through the thread and would like to hear more about
this. Can anybody with knowledge about it please remind us of the
details to this idea ?

> * can we introduce new levels of access, the commiters that are commiting
> on the ports they're maintaining

I would welcome this, and by doing this, I would learn more about
the committing process and would probably apply this to other
ports in the future.

There is another option, which needs to be debated:

Start regular money collection which pays for some full-time staff
that does commits etc.

The downside might be that the volunteers see themselves less valued
and become less involved in committing/reviewing etc, because
"someone else ist paid for it and I'm not". This might be
a serious issue, so how could we solve this motivational effect ?

--
pi@opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         6 years to go !