Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 14:23:51 -0600 (CST)
From:      Paul Saab <spaul@more.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No BSD Communicator 4.0?

> > > Java doesnt seem to want to work for me either. Funny, last night I
> > > downloaded the Linux version because I saw no BSD version. Everything
> > > worked fine, including Java.. All I had to do was extract everything into
> > > one directory... oh well. :(
> >
> > I found that if you unset the CLASSPATH environment variable then java
> > will work.
>
> Umm, where should I put Java4_0 ?? This is what the variable points to...

Usually I install all the files in /usr/local/lib/netscape and then
put the netscape binary in /usr/local/bin.  In the README for netscape it
says the following about java:

Java Applet support is available for all Unix platforms.

          To run Java applets with the Java-enabled version, the Navigator
          needs to be able to load Java class files from a file called
          java_301.  This file is included in the distribution, but must
          be moved to any of these directories:

                The current directory
                /usr/local/netscape/java/classes
                /usr/local/lib/netscape
                $HOME/.netscape

To play around with 4.0 on machines I do not have root on I just run it
out of a directory in my home directory where it can load the class
library but I still have to unset my CLASSPATH environment variable to
get java to work.

This is what I do to launch netscape so java works correctly:

#!/bin/sh

CLASSPATH=/usr/local/lib/netscape4/java_40
NETSCAPE=/usr/local/bin/netscape4

export CLASSPATH NETSCAPE

exec $NETSCAPE

Paul Saab