Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 11:30:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Zach Copley <snatcher@arlington.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upper limit values set too low?

Hi, recently I've switched my mail machine to FreeBSD, hoping that it
would make a nice stable server.  I've been encountering a few problems.

The machine in question runs some mailing lists.  First, I started to get
error messages like this when the mailing lists were queueing:

kiki /kernel: file: table is full
kiki sendmail[6096]: EAA06091: SYSERR(UID0): Can't create transcript file
xfEAA06091: Too many open files in system

I eventually figured out that what was happening was that sendmail was
attempting exceed the maximum number of files that are allowed open per
process, which is a value that can be set with the sysctl utility.  The
solution was to set the value to a much higher number, which I did.

Now I am getting some error messages like this:

kiki sendmail[589]: BAA00581: SYSERR(daemon): <snatcher@arlington.com>...
openmailer(local): cannot fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

The other thing is that when I attempt to open a large mailbox with Pine,
it crashes and dumps core--something that never happens on any of my other
Unix machines. eg:

Aug 21 04:41:19 kiki /kernel: pid 1955 (pine), uid 1002: exited on signal6
(core dumped)

What I'm wondering is if maybe there are some other upper limit values for
kernel, etc., that may be set too low by default.  Could that be the cause
of these problems also?  If so, what are these values, and what can I use
to determine/adjust these values?  If not, does anyone have any idea what
could be causing these problems?

The machine is:  P120, 32-megs RAM, Adaptec 7880 SCSI/1-gig Quantum with
Kernel Developer install of 2.2.2R with all of the defaults, and then I
recompiled the kernel as outlined in the Handbook.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Zach Copley

--
                                       .^....^.