Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2010 11:34:49 -0600
From:      "Bryan H." <lists@galador.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Subject:   Re: MySQL 5.5.7->5.5.8 instructions seem scary

Oops, forgot the reply-all.  :X  Sorry Bill.  :)

I ran the update two nights ago, and it went rather smoothly for me
(updating from the 5.5.7 RC to 5.5.8 GA), but your mileage may vary.

Additionally, you can find some general rules for updating your MySQL
install here:  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/upgrading.html

As the others recommended, backups are critical!