Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2007 15:09:56 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   HEADS UP: IPX over IP support removed

Dear all,

Per my countless e-mails over the last two (three?) years, we are now working
on removing network components that do not run safely without the Giant lock.
We hope not to have to maintain the debug.mpsafenet compatibility shim set in
7.0-RELEASE.  I have just removed the IPXIP option, which allowed tunneling
IPX traffic over wide-area IP networks to link IPX enclaves.  I've been unable
to raise any support in testing work-in-progress patches to lock down this
code despite several mailing list appeals.  I'm happy to re-add the code in
the event someone turns up who can work with me on this, even before the 7.0
release cycle kicks off if that person turns out to be very responsive. :-)

The following subsystems remain with NET_NEEDS_GIANT dependence:

i4b -    ISDN framework, for which there is on-going work

netatm - One of three ATM frameworks, for which there is on-going work

ng_h4 -  Bluetooth serial drivers -- I know of no on-going work here

IPSEC -  KAME IPSEC implementation, which will be removed and replaced with
          FAST_IPSEC in 7.0, once IPv6 support is committed for it.

Of the above, I am concerned about ng_h4 since I've heard nothing about
potential work on this.  I believe the dependence issue has to do with
entering the non-MPSAFE TTY code without Giant, and perhaps this is easily
addressed...

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge