Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 21:11:57 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Volker Sturm <v.sturm@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating ports

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 07:54:06PM +0200, Volker Sturm wrote:
> Hi,
> I upgraded from XFree 4.0.3_3 to 4.1.0_4 after updating the ports tree with
> cvsup. When I tried to 'make install' in the XFree86-4 directory it didn't
> work and I did a 'make deinstall' which wasn't really successful as it didnt
> find all the directories it needed. After that the 'make install' worked.
> My general question is: Why does cvsup simply overwrite the packing list of
> the old version and thus doesn't let me uninstall the port cleanly?
> How is the updating procedure supposed to be done correctly (preferrably for
> ALL the ports I installed)?

'make deinstall' is not governed by the port's packing list, but by
the information in the package database.  It is completely undependent
of the ports collection.  Thus, the problem is with your previous
installation having an incorrect packing list, not with CVSup overwriting
the one in the port directory.

It's another matter that for a long time, the packing lists of the X
ports have, should we say, left something to be desired.  I believe that
several people have approached this problem lately.

G'luck,
Peter

--
This sentence every third, but it still comprehensible.