Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:36:41 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Dag=2DErling_Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net>
Subject:   Re: Allow user install

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 3:54 AM, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav <des@des.no> wrote=
:
>> Simon Gerraty <sjg@juniper.net> writes:
>>> The patch below is a step towards supporting unprivileged buildworld
>>> etc. =A0Eg.
>>
>> Wow, this is really cool - and long overdue.
>
> Yep. =A0I've been doing this on the command line for user installs for a
> while.. =A0There's only so many times you can type things like:
>
> make BINOWN=3D`id -u` BINGRP=3D`id -g` SHAREOWN=3D`id -u` ... NO_FSCHG=3D=
> .... .... installworld
>
> .. before going crazy. =A0Having a single knob to do it would be much
> more convenient.

For what its worth, the footprint of the diff can be reduced
considerably if you take advantage of the fact that "install -o $you
-g $you ..." works and is a no-op.

In the attached patch, things like this wouldn't strictly be needed if
it was done that way.
-           ${INSTALL} -o ${BINOWN} -g ${BINGRP} -m ${BINMODE} \
+           ${INSTALL} ${BIN_INSTALL_OWN} -m ${BINMODE} \

It works either way for me, of course.

I'm probably mistaken but I had a vague recollection that install(8)
used to default to "-o root -g wheel" if you didn't specify something.
 And it did something obnoxious like delete the original file...
--=20
Peter Wemm - peter@wemm.org; peter@FreeBSD.org; peter@yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
"If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete
themselves upon execution." -- Robert Sewell