Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:39:59 -0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Islandman <schieb@centurytel.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD digital camera support?

On Sunday, 18 February 2001 at 10:04:37 -0800, Islandman wrote:
> I'm shopping for a new digital camera.  Since I NEVER want to boot up in
> WinDoz again, what capabilities for supporting digital cameras are there
> in FreeBSD?

I'd strongly recommend buying a camera with Compact Flash or similar
memory.  You can remove the card from the camera and insert it in a
PCMCIA adaptor (cost: about $10) and mount it in a laptop as an MS-DOS
file system.  If you don't have a laptop, you'll need a PCMCIA to ISA
adaptor for your machine, as well as easy access to it.

The nice thing about this approach is that you can use normal UNIX
commands to manipulate the images.  See my diary entries on the
subject in November 2000 (from memory
http://www.lemis.com/~grog/diary-nov2000.html; I'm not online at the
moment).

Greg