Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 2009 13:13:45 +0000
From:      "b. f." <bf1783@googlemail.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        portsuser@larseighner.com
Subject:   Re: Ports completely and permanently hosed

>but x11-toolkits/py-gtk2 will not build with py26-cairo, but insists on
>  py25-cairo which will not build with or without python26

>I realize this stuff is put together by object-oriented people who aren't
>really used to the expectation that stuff will, you know, actually work.

You're chasing your tail here.  The latest version of the Makefile for
x11-toolkits/py-gtk2 has only USE_PYTHON=yes, which in ordinary
circumstances defaults to python26.  There is no requirement in the
Makefile for python25.  Furthermore, many other people have no
problems with these ports. The problem is not due to some
"object-oriented people" but to your mistakes.  So:

1) Make sure that your ports tree _and_ index are up-to-date.
2) Clean out _all_ your working directories via portsclean -C, make -C
/usr/ports clean, or whatever.
3) Follow the instructions for a python update in the 20090608 entry
of /usr/ports/UPDATING -- all of them.  Don't keep lang/python25
around, or set it to be the default version of python via
PYTHON_DEFAULT_VERSION or PYTHON_VERSION, unless you have an
indispensable port that specifically requires it (in the port
Makefile): instead, rip out lang/python25 and install only
lang/python26.  And reinstall lang/python after you have done this if
you have it on your machine.
4)This should work -- it has worked for many, many other people.  If
it doesn't, it's something peculiar to your system or the way you went
about the update.  In case something goes wrong, tell us _exactly_
what you did and what the error message was.  Don't paraphrase -- give
us at least a partial transcript where the errors occurred, and the
exact commands you typed.

And please: we know you're frustrated, but a little less abuse, and a
little more humility, please.

b.