Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:28:48 +0000
From:      Ricardo Jesus <ricardo.meb.jesus@gmail.com>
To:        Manish Jain <invalid.pointer@gmail.com>
Cc:        bf2006a@yahoo.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need help for acroread8

Manish Jain wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After browsing mailing lists for hours, I was finally able to install
> acroread8 on my FreeBSD 7.1R system. But it STILL does not start.
> Attached below is the output (repeated messages removed) :
>
>> Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "gnomebreakpad":
>  > libgnomebreakpad.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>>
>> (acroread:9218): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader
>> module file '/etc/gtk-2.0/gdk-pixbuf.loaders':
>  > No such file or directory
>>
>> (acroread:9218): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Error loading XPM image loader:
>> Image type 'xpm' is not supported
>>
>> (acroread:9218): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion
>> `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
>>
>> (acroread:9218): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_set_icon_list: assertion
>> `GDK_IS_PIXBUF (pixbuf)' failed
>>
>> (acroread:9218): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_get_width:
>> assertion `pixbuf != NULL' failed
>>
>> (acroread:9218): Pango-WARNING **: No builtin or dynamically loaded
>> modules
>> were found. Pango will not work correctly. This probably means
>> there was an error in the creation of:
>>   '/etc/pango/pango.modules'
>> You may be able to recreate this file by running pango-querymodules.
>>
>> (acroread:9218): Pango-CRITICAL **: _pango_engine_shape_shape:
>> assertion `PANGO_IS_FONT (font)' failed
>>
>> Pango-ERROR **: file shape.c: line 75 (pango_shape): assertion failed:
>> (glyphs->num_glyphs > 0)
>> aborting...
>>
>> [2]+  Exit 1                  acroread
>
> My loader.conf has linux_load=YES, rc.conf has linux_enable=YES,
> linprocfs_enable=YES and fstab has an entry for linproc. I downloaded
> the latest ports tarball yesterday, did a 'portupgrade -rf
> emulators/linux_base-fc4', and [re]installed a number of ports (pango,
> linux-pango, cairo, linux-cairo, gdk-pixbuf, linux-gdk-pixbuf, pixman
> and may be a couple more). Then I installed acroread8.  But it still
> does not start, as you can from the message above.
>
> Actually, there is at least one bug in the port as the message reveals.
> At runtime, acroread8 tries to look for /etc/pango/pango.modules, which
> - because of the port's linux heritage - translates to
> /compat/linux/etc/pango/pango.modules. This path is incorrect, at least
> with linux_base-fc4 - with which the correct  path turns out to be
> /compat/linux/etc/pango/i686-redhat-linux-gnu/pango.modules in my case.
> The user has to fix it with a symlink himself.
>
> I am beginning to wonder why can't FreeBSD simply put on the
> distribution media binary packages for programs that almost everyone
> uses these days (thunderbird, acroread) and which take an immense amount
> of time/effort to build. The FreeBSD DVD is more than half empty and I
> am sure nobody would mind spending a couple of hours extra at
> download-time what possibly might save a couple of weeks and a whole lot
> of headaches at install-time.

> [...]
I like epdfview, xpdf and kpdf (under KDE). Under Gnome epdfview and
evince are very good alternative.

Personally I've never used Acrobat Reader in any Unix-like system, but
some people do have specific needs. If that's you case please raise a
PR, otherwise just give a chance to other applications.

If want to save building time stick with packages (smaller download and
no compiling) but don't mix ports and packages if possible.

Regards,
Ricardo Jesus.