Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 05:20:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/13333: remove rtld(1) XREF in dlopen.3

The following reply was made to PR docs/13333; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mike Pritchard <mpp@FreeBSD.org>
To: phantom@cris.net (Alexey Zelkin)
Cc: kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu (Steven G. Kargl),
	freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 07:12:09 -0500 (CDT)

 > > > Ok.
 > >
 > > Only after removing the refernce to rtld(1) :-).
 > Maybe we just should replace rtld(1) reference with ld.so(1) reference ?
 > I not sure that dinamic linker routine dlopen(3) not referencing dinamic
 > loader (ld.so(1)). Just for note: we still have no elf(5) manpage (but as I
 > know it's in progress) and we still have no ELF dinamic loader (ld-elf.so(1)).

 I'm no loader expert, so I'll leave that to someone else.  But,
 ld.so(1) also isn't on my 3.2, or 3.3 systems, much less the actual
 ld.so binary.  It is on my 4.0 system, but I suspect that is left over
 from when this machine used to be 2.2.8 before I upgraded it to 3.2 then
 4.0.  I should really do a fresh 4.0 install on this machine :-(.

 Someone is slowly working on an elf(5) man page.

 As a side note, link(5) could probably use a "SEE ALSO" section.

 > It means that we will not remove rtld(1) refernce, but create rtld(1)
 > manpage (which by default will describe ELF format). And current rtld(1)
 > manpage (a.out) will be installed under share/man/man1aout.

 I don't have an rtld command installed on any of my 3.2, 3.3, or 4.0 systems,
 so I don't think we need to create a man page for it.
 --
 Mike Pritchard
 mpp@FreeBSD.org or mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net