Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 1997 03:05:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, james@wgold.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Failed mail: unknown user]

 * From: j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)

 * > Really?  I think drives have their own cache, and if they have write
 * > buffering turned on, they will happily return "write complete" when
 * > they are only holding data in the buffer.
 *
 * That's another matter.  ``Shit happens.'' :)

I'm not sure what you mean here by "another matter".  Somebody asked
if the data is on the platter as soon as the write returns, so I said
that's not necessarily the case depending on the disk's electronics
(options).

 * 						Some of them are said to
 * even write back their cache if power fails, using the spindle's
 * momentum to generate the required power.

That's nice to hear. :)

Satoshi