Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2018 17:55:48 -0400
From:      Joe Maloney <jmaloney@ixsystems.com>
To:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Issue encountered booting FreeBSD STABLE and CURRENT snapshots with EFI

Hello everyone,
Today after we attempted to merge the latest 11-STABLE into FreeNAS we
found an issue with EFI boot during the testing process.

To narrow done the issue I have tested the following images:
https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-CURRENT-amd64-20180307-r330606-disc1.iso
https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/11.1/FreeBSD-11.1-STABLE-amd64-20180307-r330605-disc1.iso

To summarize I setup a bhyve VM with EFI, and graphics.  Install with
UFS, and ZFS work.

After install during the boot the following message appears if ZFS is used:
Failed to start image provided by ZFS (14)

If UFS is used during the install here is what the message looks like
on first boot:
Failed to start image provided by UFS (14)

Here is a screenshot showing the issue for ZFS:
https://imgur.com/a/rQRck

If bhyveload is used there is no issue booting.  From what I can tell
it is only if the EFI firmware is used even with graphics mode off.
This has affected both CURRENT, and the latest 11-STABLE snapshot
which are linked above.

I will be out of office at the end of the week for several weeks, and
may be unable to respond to further replies right away.  Either way I wanted to
make the project aware while others at iX look into this  Thanks.

Joe Maloney
QA Manager / iXsystems
Enterprise Storage & Servers Driven By Open Source