Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:58:12 +0200
From:      Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   silly sed question

I have a string

TARGETS='blob1 blob2 blob3'

and I wish to use to change this to

TARGETS='blob1 blob2 blob3 blob4'

for a multitude of files.

I am having problems with the quotes

sed -e  '/^TARGETS  s/'$/blob4'/'  myfile

ie find the line that begins with TARGETS and on that line swap the ending
single quote with blob4 and a single quote

is what I want to write and for sed to DWIM.....

I have tried escaping quotes in various places, double quotes and the like
but the correct incantation escapes me.......can anyone help

--
My .sig program is broken