Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 21:01:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org, imp@harmony.village.org
Subject:   Re: Interruptable hang starting init in today's -CURRENT

>Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 00:35:46 -0600
>From: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>

>I saw something similar at usenix with my old, hacked kernel config
>file, but not with GENERIC that I just booted.

Well, I appreciate that hint... so I looked for differences between
GENERIC and my kernel config (LAPTOP_30W)... but nothing I tried worked.

So I built a brand-new kernel from GENERIC (which is rev. 1.313).  And
it exhibited the same symptom (with one rather subtle difference, below).

As N.Dudorov (nnd@mail.nsk.ru) pointed out, what is happening is that
the "sysctl -a" in /etc/rc (as part of the "entropy harvesting") is failing
to terminate.  Whether with GENERIC or LAPTOP_30W, the last entry shown
from "sysctl -a" is

	net.inet.accf.unloadable: 0

The subtle difference is with "sysctl -N -a".  With LAPTOP_30W, what
gets written after the above is a stream of

	net.inet.accf.373

while with GENERIC, it's

	net.inet.accf.372

Now, I confess a relative lack of knowledge about how sysctls are
defined, but I rather suspect that the "net.inet.accf.###" is bogus.  I
did spend some time with a hand-compiled copy of sysctl (to turn on
debugging) inside gdb, but I can't claim to be much the wiser for the
experience.

I'll be happy to poke around some more, but I'd appreciate a clue as to
a source of additional information about sysctls.

As a reminder, I've been re-syncing my local copy of the CVS repository
daily, thus:
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Mon Jul  2 03:47:01 PDT 2001
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Mon Jul  2 03:52:46 PDT 2001
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Tue Jul  3 03:47:01 PDT 2001
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Tue Jul  3 03:52:47 PDT 2001
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Wed Jul  4 03:47:01 PDT 2001
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Wed Jul  4 03:53:33 PDT 2001
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Thu Jul  5 03:47:00 PDT 2001
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Thu Jul  5 03:53:22 PDT 2001
CVSup begin from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Fri Jul  6 03:47:01 PDT 2001
CVSup ended from cvsup14.freebsd.org at Fri Jul  6 03:52:59 PDT 2001

and tracking -CURRENT (and -STABLE, for that matter) daily.  I first
noticed this problem with the -CURRENT build I did on 04 July.  And
booting from a -CURRENT kernel I stashed away (based on the same kernel
config file that I had been using for the last few weeks) as of 16 June
did not have the problem.

Thanks,
david
As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product.