Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 23:41:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        rugose@www.delanet.com (Stephen Comoletti)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fw: New install of FreeBSD 2.2.2 on Gateway PC

Stephen Comoletti said:
> Small update and another question. The intel udma controller is made
> actually a Promise Technology Ultra33 IDE. Promise Tech claims not to
> supprt freebsd or any other unix from the info gateway tech support could
> provide me. Their only advice was to connect the drive to the motherboard
> primary ide which freebsd did detect.
>
> Question is, will there be any updates to freebsd that will allow detection
> of the above card? or is it actually compatible now and I have another
> problem? Gateway tech said the difference from the promise controller and
> the motherboard ide is as great as 3-1 ratio, a visually noticable speed
> difference depending on what I use the pc for. I'd rather is the card if at
> all possible.
>
> So far I've checked the cables, the jumpers, and made numerous changes to
> the bios in an attempt to get it to recognize the card. Any more ideas
> before I pull it out?

I am about to commit reasonably complete support of the Promise Ultra33 IDE
interface.  We will be able to support multiple PCI IDE interfaces in -current.
My measurements show that I am getting the entire 33MBytes/sec burst transfer
rate, with 10MBytes/sec continuous data rate to/from the disk platters, on the
outer zone, with a WDAC5100L disk drive.  I currently have 7 IDE disk drives,
1 SCSI disk drive, and 2 SCSI CDROM drives on my system, and it all works well
together.  The two IDE interfaces on my system are the PIIX3 from the Natoma
chipset, and the PDC20247 from the Promise board.

Don't expect for it to be in -current until this weekend. :-).

John
dyson@freebsd.org.