Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 20:11:14 -0700
From:      "Donald Fast" <djfast@telus.net>
To:        "Joey Garcia" <bsd_usr@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Overclocking AMD K6-'s and FreeBSD

No,
I could not install FreeBSD wqith my CPU clocked normally (several unexplained panics on install in different places each attempt).

as Jim said, we both hade to detune our systems to get them working.
I was unable to even get my K6(2)- 400 running at 4.0 x100  (it worked fine under windows until it was pushed hard) but in order to
install FreeBSD I had to switch to 3.5 x 83.3.  I am trying to exchange this CPU (wish me luck)

YMMV - My dad on the other hand, runs his windows machine hard and he overclocked his k6(2)-400 to ~ 500 with no problems.

Both of these CPU's are the 2.2V core.

Temperature seems to be a key item to watch.  The CPU temperature on Dad's machine runs about 40 deg C.  My CPU ran about ~48 deg C
at 4.0 x 100, or 40 deg C at its reduced settings.

this was after I lapped CPU and applied heatsink compound.  I am thinking that I still need to upgrade the heatsink / cooling fan
for the CPU.
Donald Fast
djfast@telus.net