Date:      Fri, 18 Nov 2016 12:48:48 +0000
From:      Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com" <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft announced it is joining The Linux Foundation?

On 11/18/16 17:30, freebsd-questions-request@freebsd.org wrote:
> Depending on what you want to archive, there are good reasons to prefer
> FreeBSD over Linux or vice versa, but systemd for sure doesn't change
> Linux in a way, that migrating to FreeBSD makes sense, if Linux was the
> right choice without systemd

No personal offence intended, but let me tell you a thing about Linux=20
and all the crap that keeps cropping up in that world. Ever since this=20
beautiful thing systemd popped up, I have tried 2 Linux distros for my=20
second box - OpenSuse 42.1 and K Ubuntu 16.10. On OpenSuse, my printer=20
does not work, and under Ubuntu, my APC UPS does not work. Repeated=20
messages to help forums produced no response whatever. If my basic=20
hardware does not work, what was the point of a new thing called systemsd ?

This is not just systemd - it is simply too much, way too much choice=20
and no maturity/stability in every thing Linux does. One day they call=20
it eth0, the next they start calling it enp3s0. One day man, the next=20
info. One day they use ext2, the next ext3, the next ext4, and the next=20
btrfs and the next ... God knows. Nobody has good explanations, just=20
fancy ideas when new flux is introduced. When there is so much=20
turbulence at the core, the world will collapse.

What killed Unix was, besides the inexorable sums of money AT&T wanted,=20
the unforgiving inclination to create a new distro whenever somebody had=20
learnt the basics of Unix. That endemic has turned to epidemic now that=20
Unix is Open Source Linux. Linux can't ever do the basic things of=20
standardization and documentation at the core level.

For hardware that works under FreeBSD, there really is no better choice=20
than to stick to FreeBSD. You could waste some money getting the right=20
hardware, but you have long term peace. Try that under Windows or Linux.

Regards
Manish Jain