Date:      Sat, 9 Jan 2010 12:08:09 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, rsmith@xs4all.nl, lists@rhavenn.net
Subject:   Re: ntpd not removed; WITHOUT_NTP enabled in src.conf

Roland Smith wrote:
 > Henrik Hudson wrote:
 > > Hey List,
 > >
 > > Among other things I have in my /etc/src.conf
 > > WITHOUT_NTP=yes
 > >
 > > which from my understanding should not build ntpd, etc...
 > > [...]
 > > ntpd still exists in /usr/sbin and the man pages, etc...
 > > seem to still be hanging around. Did I miss something?
 >
 > Adding options to `/etc/src.conf` does not remove old binaries,
 > libraries or manpages! It just prevents the system from building
 > newer ones.

I'm afraid that's not true.

When you disable something in src.conf(5), its files *will*
be removed when you do "make delete-old".

See the file src/tools/build/mk/OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc
for all the details.  It's included by src/ObsoleteFiles.inc
which in turn is included by src/Makefile.inc1 (after
/etc/src.conf was parsed by share/mk/bsd.own.mk).

If that doesn't work for WITHOUT_NTP, then that's a bug.
Probably some entries missing in OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc.

Best regards
   Oliver

"To this day, many C programmers believe that 'strong typing'
just means pounding extra hard on the keyboard."
        -- Peter van der Linden