Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2001 13:48:29 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail + auth + ssl + freebsd

Leo Bicknell wrote:
> If no one else has figured this mess out, I'll do it and write a
> page for the handbook. If someone else has, please clue me in, and
> if necessary I'll still write that handbook page. :-)  It would be
> very nice if it was simple to make FreeBSD sendmail SSL and
> authenticate against the password file.

Authentication is not against the password file.

The normal mechanism for use of SMTP AUTH uses a shared secret
vi a SASL challenege/response.  SASL requires that the password
be in clear text, so that the transformation on the host using
the NONCE can be repeated on the client with the shared secret,
without the secret ever going over the wire in cleartext.

The program you are looking for is "saslpasswd".  You will have
to maintain a local "passwd" file, seperate from the UNIX passwd
file, for each of your mail clients.

My personal approach was to use an LDAP directory, and limit the
password using precalculation of a partial nonce.

In any case, without the saslpasswd file, you will not be offered
the AUTH extension on the SMTP connection (Say "EHLO <domain>",
and it will tell you what it supports or not).

The most commonly deployed method is MD5 digest (this is what
Netscape uses).

-- Terry