Date:      Mon, 18 Mar 2002 14:50:05 -0700
From:      Brad Huntting <huntting@glarp.com>
To:        John E Hein <jhein@timing.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports & DESTDIR (was: STLPORT and gcc3 (openoffice porting))

> bsd.ports.mk uses DESTDIR differently (wrongly IMO) than FreeBSD's
>  buildworld or the rest of the world as far as I have seen.  See (and
>  lobby for) ports/28155.  Unfortunately, the fix in 28155 will make
>  DESTDIR behave the "right" way, and thus anyone expecting the "wrong"
>  behavior will be surprised.  OTOH, any ports using DESTDIR will do the
>  wrong thing now anyway in many cases (see the How-To-Repeat in PR 28155).

Along these lines, we have a rather twisted setup at our shop.  We
put 3d party software such as ports in directories with pathnames
like:

	/nfs/i386+OpenBSD2/teTeX-1.0.7/{bin/,etc/,share/,...}

Using symlinks (and amd) it appears to the users as if it were

	/nfs/teTeX -> teTeX-1.0.7
	/nfs/teTeX-1.0.7/{bin/,etc/,share/,...}

Since these are mounted read-only, we have to install the port in
another directory e.g:

	/mnt/foo/nfs/teTeX-1.0.7/

In a perfect world this would just mean using

	DESTDIR=/mnt/foo
	PREFIX=/nfs/teTeX-1.0.7

But, this will cause the port to look for all it's _dependencies_
in /nfs/teTeX-1.0.7 when they are really in /nfs/some-port-name.
It is ugly, but we have such a large environment that we usually
have to keep different versions of the same software online for
different users on the same machine.

Is there any way to specify a different PREFIX for each port+version?
<queue the rotten vegetables>

brad