Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 1998 19:43:16 +0100 (MET)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, julian@whistle.com
Subject:   Re: SCSI Bus redundancy...

As Simon Shapiro wrote...

> On 03-Mar-98 Wilko Bulte wrote:
>
> > Drive write caches are Evil. Every write cache without good battery
> > backup
> > is Evil. Talk to a DBMS guy about enabling disk write caches. Put
> > sneakers
> > on and be prepared to run fast...
>
> Nah, we just smile at you and put your reume in the can...

  And rightfully so :)

> Actually, there are ways around that.  I promised to make them available on
> FreeBSD and I will.  Real Soon Now.  I am waiting for hardware for
> testing...

  Anxiously awaiting. I just missed an opportunity today to obtain a
  Mylex DAC960 3 channel RAIDcard. Bah.

> > But then again, with VM systems that have megabytes worth of unflushed
> > data the best way to loose your data is to pull the plug from your server
> > ;-)
>
> Top said, on last make world that there are 158MB of buffers in use.  This
> is 5 times the total disk capacity on the first Unix port I tried to
> compile.  Scary.

  I had Ultrix-11 running on an PDP11/34 256k mem and 2x RK05. Slow as
  molasses but it worked. Had a couple of fresh CS weenies watch it in awe.

  Still have this 11/23 and 11/73 in the basement waiting for a memorable
  event in Unix history (maybe a major earthquake in Redmond? ;-)

> Terry?  Any thoughts on hot-starting a Unix based PC?  We need to dump
> memory quickly, I think.  No way to preserve DRAM across BIOS resets I know
> of.  Assuming we have the ability to dump memory quickly (see below), can
> we just snap a state, dump it, leave a signature and resume at power up?
>
> We had that on VAXes with VMS (Not AT&T Unix, and I do not think BSD).

  A couple of years ago while working at Philips Info Systems we had a
  SysV2 derivative that could do powerfail/restart (as we called it).
  It used some battery backed up RAM, and it was not a PC (M68K cpu).
  Having never worked on that kernel I don't know how they did it.
  But it worked pretty well.

> Memory SNAP:  If you write it into a DPT controller, and the controller has
> enough cache to hold it, it is pretty fast.  I can sustain about 2us per
> transaction overhead and about 120MB/Sec.  This gives us about a second or
> two.  The new DPT's can retain the cache until power returns.
> Even a small UPS (with poer alarms will last long enough.

  But how do you checkpoint things? So, where did the processor leave
  off?

---------------  Support your local daemons: run [Free,Net,Open]BSD Unix  --