Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 1995 17:19:59 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Tony Harverson <tony@hornet.netac.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tcp_extensions ?

<<On Thu, 16 Nov 1995 10:50:01 +0200 (SAT), Tony Harverson <tony@hornet.netac.co.za> said:

> I was wondering if there was a doc on the tcp_extensions sysconfig
> setting in 2.0.5... I've been having a problem in that my machine
> hangs tcp connections, but not randomly... Only to another freebsd
> box that runs 2.0.5 without extensions.  (a coupla other boxes have
> had the same problem getting hold of it) Exactly what sort of
> extensions are disabled, and what is the 'losing hardware' ?

The extensions in question are RFC 1323 and RFC 1644.  The particular
losing hardware that caused a number of people problems was that
certain vendors' terminal servers' SLIP implementations would get
confused in compression by the presence of unknown TCP options, and
cause things to break.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.