Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 10:58:13 -0500
From:      John <papalia@UDel.Edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tcpd: unknown@ip

Hi again all...

In the past couple of days, root has been receiving emails like the following:

Subject: tcpd: unknown@195.212.231.210[195.212.231.210] tried to use portmap
    (denied)
[195.212.231.210]

An nslookup on that IP gives me a box which I've never heard of, and that
I'm 99% sure any of my users don't have access to.

I've actually gotten four such emails, all from different IP's.  I'm just
not sure how to interpret that message, and how much I'm supposed to worry
about it?  Is simply having the following in the /etc/hosts.allow enough to
keep everyone else outside of my two boxes out of my portmapper?

# Portmapper is used for all RPC services; protect your NFS!
# (IP addresses rather than hostnames *MUST* be used here)
portmap : 127.0.0.1 localhost : allow
portmap : 10.0.0.2  : allow

Where 10.0.0.2 is my only other box on my internal subnet.

Mind you... I'm also still learning exactly what the portmapper does, so
please be patient with :)

Thanks again all!!!
--John Papalia