Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 1996 12:23:39 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, devet@adv.IAEhv.nl
Subject:   Re: Direct UUCP stopped working but UUCP via PPP still works

Hello,

On Tue, 15 Oct 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

[...]
> But why only after an upgrade to 2.1.5?  I thought the buggy UMC8669F
> did hurt us all the way back to (at least) FreeBSD 2.0.5?
[...]
	I also suggest to be _very_ suspicious with Winbond integrated
	chips (they are often met on VLB MIO cards and on not-so-recent
	486 motherboards).  I don't have one handy for exact chip model
	reference, sorry; but AFAIK ASUS SP3G motherboard is,
	for example, equipped with one.

	Just 2-3 days ago one of that Winbond chips hit me once again
	on a friend's machine.  Mouse works fine, tests are Ok,
	but just anything requiring bidirectional full-duplex transfers
	(UUCP, SLIP, even Fidonet mailer) just doesn't work.

--
		Best,
			Andrew Stesin

		nic-hdl: ST73-RIPE