Date:      Wed, 08 Apr 1998 16:47:37 GMT
From:      dburr@POBoxes.com (Donald Burr)
To:        Kedar Rajadnya <kedar@asacomputers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BrookTree 848 causing my screen to get messed up, how to fix?

On Wed, 08 Apr 1998 09:32:24 -0700, you wrote:

>        Hi,
>
>        We are having a sub-set of the problem with the 440FX chipset.  We
>are using the Hauppauge WincastTV.  It sometimes decides it is PAL.  I've
>been trying to find out why we received a PAL card in the U.S.  I'm guessing
>we have the right cards and are experiencing what Mr. Burr is?
>        On the current issue, maybe the VGA is not one of the BT848
>'compatible' ones?

An update to my situation:

I upgraded my video card to an ATI 3D Pro Turbo (3D Rage/Mach 64
based), and the "mess up the screen" problem has disappeared under
both FreeBSD and Windows.  It looks like my old Cirrus card was, in
fact, at fault.

I'm still having the occasional "NTSC detected as PAL" problem,
though.
--
Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
Web: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/