Date:      Sat, 15 Feb 2020 13:05:23 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Technological advantages over Linux

--XF85m9dhOBO43t/C

Julien Cigar wrote:

> > >=20
> > > Sorry, but I find this sort of a chalk vs cheese kind of comparison.
> >=20
> > Of course not. When deciding what to use in the next project, you have
> > to advocate your choice in front of your superiors and colleagues, and
> > your presentation should be well backed up with technical arguments.=20
> >=20
> > When I advocate FreeBSD over Windows, for example, there are some very
> > clear and easily defendable technical and economical advantages (open
> > source, absence of viruses, BSD license - just to name a few). It is not
> > so easy with FreeBSD vs Linux.
> >=20
> > For example, the absence of Docker (or analogous technology) for FreeBSD
> > is a huge disadvantage. We need to name really superiour features to
> > make up for this shortage.
>=20
> ZFS, bectl,=20

A great advantage no doubt.=20

> pf,=20

Is it really better than iptables? I just don't know iptables therefore
am asking. But there is a number of things I'm unhappy about pf.

> MAC,=20

How is it used in the real world?

> ports and poudriere,=20

I think we can find similar things in the Linux world. But the
separation of the base system and third-party software from
ports/packages is a great advantage, I think.

> GEOM

and netgraph. These are powerful technologies, no doubt, but they are
rather tools for FreeBSD developers than something visible to
"outsiders" and general users/admins.

> rctl, Dtrace support, ...

rctl could be important, but Linux has cgroups, they are probably
basically the same.

>=20
> experience FreeBSD is a lot easier to manage and maintain than any of
> the Linux-es I used, especially if you deploy everything with (VNET)=20
> jails, ZFS, and a custom poudriere repository (branch based)

 From the point of view of maintainance ans aesthetics, I agree FreeBSD
looks simpler and cleaner (unless you're trying to use the GUI). I have
chosen a workflow similar to yours (ZFS, custom poudriere repository)
but bhyve VMs instead of jails. Thanks to ansible, creating and updating
those VMs is not very boring. Disk space is cheap nowadays, so I don't
becry the overhead of keeping a complete base system in each VM.

>=20
> (For Docker I honnestly never understood all the fuss, you can achieve=20
> the same thing with jails and something like Saltstack, so it's not at
> all an "huge" disadvantage to me)

Well, the advantage of Docker is probably its wide community acceptance
and popularity. I think a similar product could have been easily created
with FreeBSD jails, mount_union, VNET etc but nobody took the trouble of
creating it in the first place. You need a repository with popular apps
packaged as jails (base system, nginx, mysql, postgres, php of different
versions, exim, drupal...) then this product could become a success (if
not too late).

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/