Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 19:27:14 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Deleting packages - a newbie question

On Sun, Apr 18, 1999 at 01:47:28PM -0400, Randall Hopper wrote:
> All right, so I'm not a newbie, but I've been wondering about this for a while.
>
> To delete a package, you can't just do:
>
>    > pkg_delete xcoloredit
>
> you have to know the specific version even if its the only one installed.
> So I've been using:
>
>    > pkg_info -Ia | grep xcoloredit
>    xcoloredit-1.2      Find colour values by graphical colour mixing
>    > pkg_delete xcoloredit-1.2
>
> wishing for the rpm-like feature where if there's only one version, then:
>
>    > pkg_delete xcoloredit
>
> would do the job.
>
> Is there some option permutation of pkg_delete to get the latter form to
> work?
>
> If not, I think this would be a handy feature.
>
> Yeah I know, I could just cook a pkg_delete wrapper script to do this, but

Why not extend what you already do?

      pkg_delete `pkg_info -Ia | grep coloredit | awk '{print $1}'`

> as commonplace as this operation would seem to be, I wonder how many folks
> would find this useful as standard behavior.

What about libraries for instance? You may have several different
versions. I've just re-built my system from scratch, but before I
had several versions of the png, tiff, and jpeg pacakges. All of
them were required by various othere packages.