Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 23:14:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: asbestos suited static vi

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:

> > If you don't, heck, vi is probably the wrong editor anyhow, you'd want
> > ee, which is simple enough for anyone.
> >
> > Last comment: if you really want a port, did you realize it's ALREADY
> > there?  Look at /usr/ports/editors/nvi.
>
> Interesting.  No, I didn't see it there.  I used to scan through the ports
> every couple weeks thinking 'Hm, what can I play with now?', but since I
> now have 30 megs free on /usr (out of a gig!) I haven't been doing that.
> What IS that doing there?  If it's in the base system, why do we have a
> port of it?  Different version?
> Hmm, my /usr/ports/editors/nvi doesn't have a Makefile.  Interesting.
>
> Does the port compile static?

There is still active development going on with nvi, and there are two
versions of Keith Bostic's editor there:

/usr/ports/editors/nvi-m17n    [multiligual support]  and
/usr/ports/editors/nvi-perl    [with perl, obviously]

They both use configure, and have CONFIGURE_ARGS, so just add
--disable-shared to that variable, and you'll have it statically linked.
The version in current is the last nvi version that is labeled stable.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |