Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2013 21:38:23 +0100
From:      Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
To:        Dirk Engling <erdgeist@erdgeist.org>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rc.d/jail and jail.conf

Dirk Engling wrote:
> if I follow the development correctly, the jail(8) command was augmented
> to make the rc.d/jail script obsolete. However when I want to use the rc
> system to start my jails, I am stuck with convincing rc.d/jail to not
> fail for missing _hostname or _rootdir.

Jails in any RELEASE version of FreeBSD are not 100% ready to be started
by "the new way". The old rc.d/jail + rc.conf style is still the only
one officially supported. (see my posts one week ago)

> How am I supposed to have my jails started at boot time? And while we're
> at it, is there a rcorder-style way to introduce dependencies into
> jail.conf to control the order my jails are started in?

You can use sysutils/jail2 but be aware of devfs problem...

In theory, with jail.conf you should use "depend" (see man jail) to
define jail dependencies.

> Which brings me to another point, there does not seem to be a way to
> convince rc.d/jail to set a jailname for old style jails, making it hard
> to integrate with tools that use libjail to translate what were
> _hostname parameters to jid before.

There is a way, you should use flags. I discussed this topic with bz@
few years ago and this is the official recommendation how newly added
features should be used without changes in rc.d/jail

jail_myjail_flags="-l -U root -n myjail"

Miroslav Lachman