Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 18:14:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, tlambert@primenet.com, drosih@rpi.edu, Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
Subject:   Re: NO MORE '-BETA'

On 17-Mar-01 Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> * John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> [010316 17:26] wrote:

>> > Those people can go fly a kite.
>>
>> These are the same people who complained about -BETA that got you started
>> off
>> on this whole thread to begin with.  Please pick one position and stick with
>> it, K PLZ THX.
>
> I am, my point is that it sucks.  Normally just saying something sucks
> is frowned on, but I'm also giving some ways to fix it.

No you are switching positions.  First, we have to remove all mention of -BETA
to be nice to people, and now you say that those same people can "go fly a
kite".  Why not tell them that when they complained about -BETA?

>> > You stated that -BETA actually is a bit less stable than -STABLE and
>> > hence should be -BETA.  The problem is that:
>> >   THERE'S NO WARNING UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY BOOT WITH YOUR '-BETA' SYSTEM
>>
>> Sure there is, it's called the mailing list.  If you cvsup -current there's
>> also no warning until you boot with your -CURRENT system, although I see you
>> kindly ignored my pointing that out last time.
>
> Because it was a silly point, you need to explicitly modify your
> cvsup file to do so.

Or use the wrong one because you didn't read the docco.  The only people who
are confused about -BETA are the ones who haven't bothered to read the release
schedule posted to -stable or the entry in the FAQ, so they are just as likely
the same people who cvsup current accidentally due to lack of reading docco.

> Also, my "world target checking with newver.sh" solution would protect
> you from that as well.

It will annoy those who already know what they are doing, and it won't do any
good for those who don't because if they are this far along w/o knowing they
obviously aren't reading the docco.  If they didn't read it the first time,
they aren't going to read it the 10th.