Date:      Thu, 24 May 2001 17:52:32 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
To:        small@freebsd.org
Subject:   cross-compiling PicoBSD

Hi,
I have been trying to do a "cross-compile" of PicoBSD, ie.  use a
source tree different from the installed one.  Basically the idea
is to be able to use checked-out sources for, say, 5.0 using 4.x
as build environment.

The tricky point seems to be using a standard include directory
different from /usr/include. I tried setting CFLAGS in the environment
as below, and it seems to work, but I would like some comments from
those of you familiar with the build process.

In any case, I did the following:

    # cd to the directory where you extract your source tree
    lcvs co -r RELENG_4 src		# extract sources ...
    lcvs co -r RELENG_4 ports/picobsd	# .. and relevant ports
    mkdir -p usr/include		# include files go here
    (setenv DESTDIR=`pwd` ; cd src; make includes) # create include tree

    setenv SRC `pwd`			# used later by picobsd script
    setenv CFLAGS "-nostdinc -I`pwd`/usr/include"

    picobsd <floppy-type>

hope this helps...

	cheers
	luigi