Date:      Fri, 23 Mar 2001 12:42:18 -0500
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Robert Hough <rch@solveinteractive.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good server motherboard?

At 12:02 PM 03/23/2001, Robert Hough wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 23, 2001, Ed Henderson wrote:
>
> > 1. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good MB to use?
>
>I like the Tyan boards for reliability. They are strong performers too,
>but other boards are known to be faster. I've got several Tyan Tomcats
>that have been running for close 3-4 years non-stop, without any problems.

I completely and totally believe the exact opposite.

Several Tyan MBs, for example, spontaneously reboot regularly with power
supplies of less then 200 watts. They are so poorly engineered that Tyan
doesn't know why, and they dont have electrical specs on the MBs.  Intel's
comparable all-in-one, for example, is spec'd to require a minimum of
146watts and works nicely with a 150watt supply.

My conversations with tyan indicate that they dont engineer their boards
very well, nor do they test them in a wide range of environments. Luckily,
they did take back a boatload of MBs even though we had no boxes, so at
least they recognize their problems.

Dennis

.