Date:      Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:32:46 +0200
From:      Christian Brueffer <chris@unixpages.org>
To:        Paul Willmann <willmann@rice.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Plan to remove GIANT dependence in ixgb driver

--9sSKoi6Rw660DLir

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 02:49:04AM -0600, Paul Willmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>=20
> I'm new to the list, but before I go ahead and modify the ixgb (intel=20
> 10 Gb NIC) driver to have its own mutex, I want to just send out an=20
> announcement to avoid any duplication of effort by anyone else who=20
> might be doing the same.  The drivers in CURRENT and STABLE both=20
> require giant.  I have a pair of NICs and multiprocessor machines to=20
> test this on.  Please send me an email if you've got a concern about=20
> this or have already started work...
>=20

Great, finally someone with ixgb hardware :-)  Would you be interested
in testing out some patches? (altq support and per-interface polling)
Also, Maxime Henrion committed a busdma change to HEAD a couple of days
ago, I'm sure he would appreciate some feedback.

To answer your question, I don't think anyone is working on removing
GIANT from this driver at the moment.

- Christian

--=20
Christian Brueffer	chris@unixpages.org	brueffer@FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D

--9sSKoi6Rw660DLir

--9sSKoi6Rw660DLir--