Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 2010 16:34:39 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
Subject:   Re: how now [green] KDE?

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 07:33:50 -0400 (EDT), Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2010, Gary Kline wrote:
> > Also, what do I add to ~kline/[*]?
>
> I have the file .xinitrc in ~, but I think that gets created by the xorg
> install process.

No. Install processes usually do not do anything inside a user's
home directory.

Depending on using xdm (will work with KDE) or kdm (KDE's own
graphical login manager), or simply "startx" (without any display
manager), you will have to create ~/.xinitrc and (or) ~/.xsession.
Those are shell scripts executed at X startup.

As I am not a KDE user, I can only guess about what command
actually starts KDE; I think it is "startkde". So your ~/.xsession
file could look like this:

	exec startkde

A shebang line may be included, but is not required. If you're
using the C shell (FreeBSD's standard dialog shell) and want to
obtain its settings (you may have customized them), OR when you're
using X by "startx" without a display manager, you may consider
using the two-stage approach, which is:

~/.xsession

	#!/bin/csh
	source ~/.cshrc
	exec ~/.xinitrc

If a display manager is present, it will inherit the C shell's settings
and then "switch over to" xinitrc mechanism.

~/.xinitrc

	#!/bin/sh
	# Your customized commands here, e. g.
	[ -f ~/.xmodmaprc ] && xmodmap ~/.xmodmaprc
	xrandr --fb 1400x1050
	xrandr --size 1400x1050
	xsetroot -solid rgb:3b/4c/7a
	xterm -fg black -bg beige -title Terminal &
	xset b 100 1000 15 &
	xset r rate 250 30 &
	xset s off &
	xset -dpms &
	# And finally your window manager or desktop environment:
	exec startkde
	# I have "exec wmaker" here :-)

With this setup, you can use
	a) xdm
	b) kdm
	c) any other dm
	d) no dm (startx only, even per auto-login)

> Don't know what you would need for KDE, but I would hope
> the package/port would create a default version of whatever you need.

The "startkde" command should be fully sufficient, as all other things
are to be configured inside KDE.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany