Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2005 02:21:16 +0100
From:      Dejan Lesjak <dejan.lesjak@ijs.si>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg 6.8.1

Gary Kline wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 10:41:33PM +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:

>> > Tweaking pkgtools.conf may help me if I move back to XFree,
>> > and it's looking like I have no choice.  xorg autoconfigs
>> > itself to run at too high a res and nothing I do fixes it.
>>
>> How about adjusting the configuration then?
>

> There is utterly no xorg.conf file; the xorg probes
> set the resolution to the max (1600x1200), and the
> display `quivers' --for lack of a better word.  So far
> my attemps with xorgcfg and xorgconfig work with
> startx only.  And the display is off-center (leftward).

Following the procedure at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html
should get you a default configuration. If you already have XF86Config file,
the X.Org will use that. Also in that section of Handbook is an example of
Section "Screen" in which you can list the Modes that you would like and see
xorg.conf(5) manpage for more info (or XF86Config(5) if you go with XFree86
of course).

>> > So, without highjacking this thread _too_ much, can anybody
>> > give me the cmds to get back to XFree-4 on my 5.3 install?
>>
>> You really don't want to do that except you're absolutely desparate (and
>> the above problem doesn't fit that category). Using XFree86 on 5.3 will
>> make your system incompatible with binary packages for 5.3 and for
>> 5-STABLE.

As long as one builds from ports and doesn't use packages that depend on X11,
things should work. If there are problems, I would like to know about them.

> If it's just binary _packages_, no problem since I build
> everything from src.  Is XFree86 going to be completely
> obsolesced?

No. As long as XFree86 will be released, I intend to keep ports up to date.
(4.5.0 is planned for early-mid March 2005.)

Dejan