Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 1995 08:40:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      LAJOIE@yalph2.physics.yale.edu
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Memory fault - core dumped

I have been working on compiling an application (ported from Linux) on FreeBSD (for
those who are interested, it is the CERN physics libraries).  In any case, I have
been able to compile all the relevant files and link them together (without errors)
to produce an executable.  When I try to run it, it grinds away for a while, and
then leaves me with the message "Memory fault - core dumped" and a core dump file.

I am running on a 486DX-33 with 8MB of RAM, and I am also running X.  Do I just not
have enough physical memory?   The Linux version claimed to run in 8MB with X. How
would I go about debugging this further, and is there any way to read and understand
the core dump?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.....

John Lajoie
Yale University Physics Department
lajoie@yalph2.physics.yale.edu