Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 23:54:31 -0500
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@plexuscom.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, gilham@csl.sri.com (Fred Gilham), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A cool xterm?

> In the scrollbar used in `ups' (the debugger), the distance you drag
> the cursor determines the *velocity* of scrolling: move the cursor
> *anywhere* in the scrollbar window; press the left button and drag
> the cursor up or down.  The farther you drag it, the faster the
> window scrolls.  When you get close to the target, you can drag back
> towards the original position and scrolling can be slowed down to a
> crawl.  If you overshoot, move past the original position to scroll
> in the opposite direction.  This is much like a single dial for fast
> forward/reverse button on some VCRs.  Very handy.

But.. The way the NeXTSTEP scrollbars work, this isn't necessary.  The
size of the "knob" in the scroll bar is proportional to the total size of
scrollable region.  If you want to be in a particular part of the file, you
simply grab the knob and drag it to where you want it to be.   You can
move up/down a line by pressing the buttons, or up/down a page by clicking
the select (left) button in the scroll bar above or below the button.
There are other modifications which can be done by holding the ALT key
down, but few applications use them.

Personally, I find the mouse button usage incredibly hard to use with
the Athena widgets compared to the much simpler implementation that the
NeXTSTEP ScrollView gives you.

Heck, for the years I used NeXTSTEP every day, I never missed not having
to screw around with an .Xdefaults file.  I don't need that many ways
to configure a UI with bad taste :-)

Seriously, one of the thinks I loved about the Stuart terminal emulator
on NeXTSTEP is that the scrollback buffer was essentially infinite (or
could be if you wanted).  It "did the right thing" when the screen was
cleared and other cursor positioning stuff happened.  Funny, I can't
exactly explain what "the right thing" is now, all I know is that xterm
and rxvt don't manage to do it, sigh.

We could learn a lot from the UI design those guys came up with.  My two-bit
deep monochrome display on my NeXT pizza box machine still manages to look
better than the technocolor, 24 bit deep X11 display..

Sorry for the digression into window system UI design..

louie