Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 1997 14:56:47 +1000
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape annoying dialog boxes

On Tue, Sep 09, 1997 at 10:47:14PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:

>[ ... ]
>
>> > I was able to get them to go away on the nonnative version by
>> > installing the OSF keysyms for Motif *2.0*.  I think the ones
>> > you kave may be *1.2*?
>>
>> I don't have any, since Netscape is statically compiled, and doesn't
>> provide any.
>
>You do.  You just don't know it.
>
>Look at /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB.
>
>You are missing bindings for:
>
>	osfInsertSelection
>	osfKillSelection
>
>Which is part of the newer Motif 2.0 Drag And Drop stuff.  The
>bindings in the XFree86 distribution are for Motif 1.2.3.
>
>Sorry, I don't have a Motif of any kind, only the clone I've been
>working on forever -- I didn't want to have the reverse engineering
>legal issues Lesstif has, so i don't know what the proper bindings
>should be.  8-(.

It is complaining about unknown actions, which to me means a problem
with the RHS of a translation, not a problem with unknown keysyms on
the LHS.  The XKeysymDB file supplied with 4.02b7 is identical to the
XFree86 one in regard to the osf symbols listed.  I've never seen this
particular problem when running any version of netscape anywhere (including
the native FreeBSD 4.02b7 version), and my guess is that there is an
old Netscape app-defaults installed which refers to actions which don't
exist (any more) (or something similar in a .Xdefaults file).  The comments
in the sample Netscape.ad file recommend strongly that it not be installed
in the app-defaults directory for reasons of version skew.

I've tested this theory by making the following change to Netscape.ad,
and installing it in my app-defaults directory.  I then get the following
warning message 4 times:

Warning: Actions not found: kill-selection, insert-selection

*** /usr/local/lib/netscape/Netscape.ad	Sun Aug  3 15:38:34 1997
--- /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults/Netscape	Wed Sep 10 14:49:22 1997
***************
*** 764,770 ****
  	Meta ~Ctrl ~Shift<Key>osfRight:forward-word()			\n\
  	 Alt ~Ctrl ~Shift<Key>osfRight:forward-word()			\n\
  	Meta ~Ctrl  Shift<Key>osfRight:forward-word(extend)		\n\
!          Alt ~Ctrl  Shift<Key>osfRight:forward-word(extend)             \n

  !                       <KeyUp>: KeyUpInText() \n
  !       Meta ~Ctrl       <Key>w:        copy-clipboard()                \n\
--- 764,772 ----
  	Meta ~Ctrl ~Shift<Key>osfRight:forward-word()			\n\
  	 Alt ~Ctrl ~Shift<Key>osfRight:forward-word()			\n\
  	Meta ~Ctrl  Shift<Key>osfRight:forward-word(extend)		\n\
!          Alt ~Ctrl  Shift<Key>osfRight:forward-word(extend)             \n\
!         <Key>osfCut: kill-selection() \n\
! 	<Key>osfPaste: insert-selection() \n

  !                       <KeyUp>: KeyUpInText() \n
  !       Meta ~Ctrl       <Key>w:        copy-clipboard()                \n\

If I add a line:

        <Key>noSuchKey: forward-word() \n

I get the following warning:

Warning: translation table syntax error: Unknown keysym name: noSuchKey
Warning: ... found while parsing '<Key>noSuchKey: forward-word() '

David